New Postgraduate Research Students

We're here to help you...

When you have received an offer letter of a place on a research degree programme, you need to formally enrol. Research degree cohorts start in either October, January, or April each academic year. You can complete the enrolment process online. You will then be set up on the University systems and will receive a photo ID card. 

Induction sessions are arranged shortly after each cohort start date. You will be informed of these details before you start.

The Graduate School delivers a calendar of events for postgraduate students throughout the academic year.

International students – both new and returning – who will be attending a course from October 2015 will be subject to personalised enrolment checks at the Graduate School before they are able to complete online enrolment.

If you are an international student attending the University of South Wales for the first time or you have studied with us previously and are progressing to a Research award before you will be able to enrol online you must:

Collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card from Immigration and International Student Advice if you are a student being sponsored under the Tier 4 Points Based System (PBS). For further information, please follow the link:

Attend your enrolment session during the and your Induction event on the at the specified times. Details of these sessions will be included in your admissions email.

Complete personalised enrolment checks.

At your enrolment session you will be expected to provide originals of the following documentation, which will be copied and scanned and kept on your student record:

  • Valid Passport
  • Valid Visa/BRP card
  • Valid ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) Certificate (if required)

You may also bring copies of your:

  • CAS Statement letter

If you are an international non-EU student, studying on a Tier 4 visa at one of our South Wales campuses, you must have a commutable term time address in the South Wales/South West area in order to attend the University. Therefore, you will be expected to provide contact details including:

  • your overseas 'home’ address
  • your UK 'term-time’ address
  • a UK telephone number

Once you have completed online enrolment you will be issued with your Research Student ID card. The University of South Wales Student SMART ID card is multi-purpose and acts as your University identification, Library card, Door Entry card and allows you access to University services and facilities. For more information, please visit the following link:

If you are a student being sponsored under Tier 4, you are required to scan your attendance every 7 days. If you will not be on campus for any reasons, i.e. field trip for data collection, vacation, etc, you must inform the Graduate Research Office. Please refer to our International Tier 4 Research Student Absence procedures for further advice and guidance.

The University’s biometric attendance monitoring system will use mathematical algorithms to read and recognise your finger and so you will be invited to register your fingerprint. Please see here for more information on why and how the University monitors attendance for international students.

See here for more general information about Online Enrolment at University of South Wales.

To book an induction event please contact:

For Creative Industries / Life Sciences and Education queries please contact:

Jane MacCuish
(Graduate School Officer – Creative Industries / Life Sciences and Education)
Tel: 01443 482788

For Computing, Engineering and Science queries please contact:

Llinos Spargo
(Graduate School Co-ordinator)
Tel: 01443 483568

For Business and Society queries please contact:

Alison Crudgington
(Graduate School Officer - Faculty of Business and Society)
Tel: 01443 654269


Event 1

Event 2

Event 3